Thursday, February 24, 2011

50 Ways to Reuse Receiving Blankets: Travel Bag, Use # 3

The night before we left on our road trip, I was packing clothes for my son. The last time we visited his Grandmare (Grandma Mary) in Orange County I packed my, then, 8 month old son a whole "carry-on" size suitcase. I was determined to find a better way to pack this time, one that might leave room in the car for the rest of us!

I got to thinking, got to looking, and got to sewing. I used two different receiving blankets to make this drawstring style bag.

STEP ONE: Cut a square shape for the bottom of the bag.
STEP TWO: Cut four rectangle pieces, make sure the width of these pieces match the sides of your bottom square.
STEP THREE: Sew your side pieces together.
STEP FOUR: Once your four pieces are together, turn over the top of the fabric about one inch, depending on the ribbon you plan to use as your drawstring, and sew this hem in place.
STEP FIVE: I wasn't sure how I was going to do this part, so I just went for it! Sew the bottom piece onto your four side pieces. Mine was quite messy and needed a little extra TLC to get the job done.
STEP SIX: "Thread" your drawstring. I've come up with a method using a tweezer and lots of patience, let me know if you'd like advice on this one!
STEP SEVEN: Go show your husband how creative you are!



I'm glad I made this bag on the larger side, Grandmare went a little baby clothes shopping crazy and we came home with more than double the clothing we left with.

My favorite thing about this bag is that it is completely washable, and it was very easy to travel with.


Linking to:













   
Simply DesigningThe Shabby Nest Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!Photobucket UndertheTableandDreaming Thrifty Homemaking Button

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...