Saturday, February 12, 2011

Quick & Easy - Decoupage Pots


DECOUPAGE POTS!
The dollar store is a magical place. Here's how I gave our bathroom a small face lift for around $4.00, and about 30 minutes time.

I found these terracotta pots at the dollar store. The big huge plus, other than the price was that they were made in USA! I picked up two and hoped they would survive the drive home, I've broken a few things in my lifetime! Thankfully we made it home. The pots sat for a few weeks, no plants in them, but still, not broken either! I was sorting my scrapbook paper setting aside what I thought I'd be using for some wall art in our bathroom when the pots caught my eye (so did the Mod Podge!).

STEP ONE: I am not much of a researcher, I tend to make an experiment out of everything and didn't look into treating the pots with anything before I painted the trim. You may or may not want to do this, I had perfectly good luck with painting over the terracotta color, my colors were on the darker side, so if you're using a lighter paint you may want to do a base coat of something or other! My first step was to tape around the pot just below the top lip. UNNECESSARY step, the paper you'll be adding around the base of the pot will cover up any painting mistakes. It's still kind of fun to use the blue painters tape!

STEP TWO: Paint around the top of the pot. I did about 3 coats to make sure there were no light spots.
STEP THREE: (Because I do everything a little back
wards) Cut strips of your favorite paper, I cut mine about an inch and a half wide.
STEP FOUR: If the paint is dry and you have taped along the edge, remove the tape.
STEP FIVE: Get your Mod Podge and a sponge brush and start applying the strips of paper!
STEP SIX: When all paper strips are applied you may have to do some trimming of the paper. To finish the bottom of my pot I folded the strips under the base and Mod Podged the bottom.
STEP SEVEN: Give the whole pot, not including the inside, a coat of Mod Podge and let dry!
STEP EIGHT: Show these puppies off! :)



EASY!


Linking to:

   a beach cottageBeyond The Picket FenceSimply Designingbuttonwithstarfish
  The Shabby Nest Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!PhotobucketUndertheTableandDreamingThe DIY Show Offsomewhat simple buttonIShareCrafts

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...